Whether you are planning to cultivate cannabis or another crop, the goal is to maximize yield, while minimizing resources. The question for those just starting out is how do you do that? In order to answer this, we are going to first consider a couple question words, where and how.
- Where are you going to grow – indoors, outdoors, or greenhouse?
- How are you going to grow – in a growing medium, hydroponics, aeroponics, hydro-aero hybrid system?
Depending on your crops and personal preferences, one location may be more beneficial than another. However, because of the amount of waste and lack of control of environmental factors, outdoors cultivation may not be the best choice in terms of resources and yield. Even in states where outdoor cultivation is legal, there are a variety of other factors out of the control of growers. So, in terms of efficiency, outdoor cultivation is most often not the best choice.
Deciding between indoors and greenhouse becomes a matter of preference. Both systems allow for control of most aspects involved in growth and are therefore more efficient. When factors such as light, water, humidity and nutrient levels become controllable, yields increase. For more information, check out our blog about exploring the differences between growing environments.
Once you’ve chosen an environment, it’s then necessary to consider growing method. Again, which method chosen is a matter of preference, and can be affected by a number of details. Depending on your crops and personal preferences, one method may be more beneficial than another. For most commercial cultivators though, hydroponic, aeroponic and hydro-aero hybrid systems have the largest number of benefits. At Whole Plant Technologies, our Grow Tray System uses a hydro-aero hybrid system.
Benefits of a hydro-aero system
With the inclusion of elements of hydroponics and aeroponics, a hydro-aero hybrid system has many benefits. Here are a just a few:
- Water filtration system
- Closed-loop systems like Whole Plant’s Grow Trays conserve water through an integrated cycle, where the process waste becomes the feedstock for another.
- Commercial farming can be done vertically, which is great way of saving space and producing more food
- Reduces the risk of disease and pest infestation
- Automation of aeroponics systems decreases labor costs
- Delivers nutrients and oyxgen directly to plant roots, which is necessary for healthy plant growth
- Produces higher quality food due to the controlled environment
- Crops are easier to harvest without the obstruction of soil
- Increases crop yield, especially in instances of multiple crop rotations
- Incorporating hydroponics allows for a backup nutrition and water supply if the aeroponic system fails.
Using an enclosed growing tray system, like that by Whole Plant Technologies, creates zero waste and supports plants through from rooted-clone to harvest. This process recirculates water and nutrients, only adding additional resources as needed, and limits drain-to-waste to scheduled root flushes and tray clean-outs.
Maximize yield, minimize waste with WPT Grow Tray System
Reducing water consumption, nutrient consumption and electrical costs, as well as grow medium costs, allows you to invest savings back into your operations. The Whole Plant Technologies Grow Tray System pays for its installation cost after the first harvest. It pays to invest in the Whole Plant Technologies Grow Tray System.
For cannabis cultivation, our Grow Tray System produces, on average, 1.5 pounds of dried flower per tray and allows for six harvests of consumable flower every 54 weeks. For oil production, the grow tray system allows for up to seven harvests annually.
At Whole Plant Technologies, our systems are modular and scalable, which allows them to be used successfully by both hobby/home growers and large commercial producers – including the ability for vertical farming.
Our tray systems are designed to produce high yield, fast growing, quality product while reducing cost across the board including those spent on grow medium, labor, water usage, nutrient consumption and lighting needs. Contact Whole Plant Technologies to find out how our hydro-aero hybrid system can maximize yield while minimizing resources, so you can get the most out of your cultivation.