Aeroponics is an efficient and effective way to grow plants without soil and with very little water. In aeroponic farming, plants are secured in a way that allows the crown to grow upward and the roots downward without any soil. The plant tops and the roots are both suspended in the air and growers feed them regularly with a fine mist of nutrient-rich water solution. Enclosed aeroponics systems, such as Whole Plant Technologies’ grow trays, have many benefits for commercial farming.
Advantages of Aeroponics for Commercial Farming
- Closed-loop systems like Whole Plant’s grow trays conserve water by creating zero waste
- Commercial farming can be done vertically, which is great way of saving space and producing more food
- Reduces the risk of disease and pest infestation
- Automation of aeroponics systems decreases labor costs
- Nutrients and oxygen are delivered directly to plant roots, which is necessary for healthy plant growth
- Produces higher quality food due to the controlled environment
- Crops are easier to harvest without the obstruction of soil
- Increases crop yield, especially in instances of multiple crop rotations
Aeroponics, which can also be done in combination with hydroponics, offers many benefits for commercial farming in geographic locations where year-around outdoor growing isn’t an option. Indoor aeroponic growing systems can be used for commercial farming indoors in areas such as Iceland where geothermal heated greenhouses have traditionally been used because of the arctic temperatures. Rather than importing fruits and vegetables from a more tropical climate, commercial farming can be done with aeroponics to save on costs and to grow high quality crops locally.
Aeroponic commercial farming allows plants to capture oxygen more efficiently than those grown in traditional soil environments. Due to the elevated level of control with aeroponics, improved nutrient feeding can occur. Because you can specify the interval and duration of nutrient spray, aeroponics allows for fine tuning for the needs of a specific plant species.
Aeroponic grow tray systems make working with the plants easier and more straightforward. When it comes to conserving water with a closed-loop system, aeroponics makes a great choice for commercial farming and gardening. Contact Whole Plant Technologies to learn more about our grow tray systems that can be used for aeroponic commercial farming.